Whilst it is not a cure for any mental health illness, yoga and mindfulness often helps young people to cope, developing positive lifestyle habits that they will be able to carry forward into the rest of their lives.Read More
In our blog you will find an array of thoughts, musings, sharing of ideas around yoga, meditation, mindfulness, health and fitness... and any thing else that catches our eye!
This week, as part of a This Girl Can day, I was invited to Shoreham Academy to teach yoga to all the girls in year 7, 8, 9 AND 10! The day gave them an opportunity to try something new in a fun and informal way and I was amazed at how well they all engaged!
This Girl Can is a national campaign developed by Sport England to get girls and women moving. The message is fun, friendly and inclusive, aiming to help us overcome the growing trend of inactivity among adults and young people, especially women.
I hated PE when I was at school. Whilst I am extremely driven, I am not a fan of competitive sport and would often make excuses to avoid the lessons. It wasn't until I reached my early 20's that I really found my love of exercise, fueled by a passion for the sea and eventually a sanctuary in my yoga mat. Events such as this, put on by a wonderful team of teachers at the Academy, are so important for young people. Even if just one of those participants finds an affinity with yoga or any of the other activities that were on offer, then it is a success.
Unfortunately it seems that the GCSE PE curriculum is changing next year, yet again, with the re-introduction of all the traditional team games. I hope that schools continue to value the importance of fitness and alternative sports that simply get young people active and enjoying it!
Past blog entries:
- Jun 18, 2018 Calming Exam Stress with Yoga Jun 18, 2018
- May 4, 2018 Teaching yoga and it's many lesson May 4, 2018
- Dec 20, 2017 A Year of Gratitude... Dec 20, 2017
- Aug 1, 2017 Yoga & Mindfulness - our summer holiday survival guide! Aug 1, 2017
- May 22, 2017 Santosha (contentment) and finding happiness May 22, 2017
- March 2017
- Feb 16, 2017 Top 5 tips for finding balance in life Feb 16, 2017
- Jan 16, 2017 The benefits of teaching yoga and mindfulness to teenagers Jan 16, 2017
- Dec 21, 2016 Winter solstice and New Years - the end and the beginning! Dec 21, 2016
- Nov 20, 2016 12 day #dailygratitude challenge! Nov 20, 2016
- Sep 4, 2016 Easing the kids back into school Sep 4, 2016
- Jul 23, 2016 How to let life bloom! Jul 23, 2016
- May 2016
- Apr 18, 2016 Diary of a yogi (who's training for a marathon) part 3 Apr 18, 2016
- Apr 1, 2016 Diary of a yogi (who's training for a marathon) Part 2 Apr 1, 2016
- Mar 14, 2016 Yoga Heals Mar 14, 2016
- Feb 23, 2016 Diary of a yogi (who's training for a marathon) Part 1 - Finding Yoga in Running Feb 23, 2016
- Feb 11, 2016 Deepening your yoga practice Feb 11, 2016
- Jan 22, 2016 be kind to yourself... Jan 22, 2016
- December 2015
- Nov 10, 2015 Workplace Wellness Nov 10, 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- Aug 6, 2015 To look or to feel Aug 6, 2015